1/13/2010

"Up in the Air" - Raise The Awards High!

Jason Reitman’s newest film “Up in the Air” is aptly titled, because it is head and shoulders above anything else I saw in 2009.

The more films I watch, the more I realize that film, just like everything else, is subjective. Ask ten people what their favorite films are and not only will you get ten different answers you’ll get ten different genres.

Personally, I’m a character driven film junkie. In order for a film to work for me, it needs an interesting story and characters that I want to learn more about. They need not be familiar or relatable, but they do need to be honest and real.

“Up in the Air” has everything I want in a film – great characters, wonderful acting, witty (but not too witty) writing, a bit of heartbreak and disillusionment, a reality check and a fitting denouement in spades.

At its core is Ryan Bingham (George Clooney), a man hired to fire people. Ryan loves his job, but loves the detachment (and frequent flyer miles) his job affords him even more.

When a young protégé played marvelously by Anna Kendrick comes up with the idea to save money by replacing the human touch with a human face on a screen, Ryan is tasked with showing her the ropes. Of course, she learns much more than that as does he.

The third member of this surely Oscar-nominated trio is Vera Farmiga who plays a woman that Ryan meets, his female counterpart. She’s also fantastic – just dry enough to spar with Clooney yet welcoming enough to interact with Kendrick.

This film is perfectly cast. Reitman wrote Kendrick’s part with her in mind, and when Clooney discusses his view on marriage, it’s not really clear if it’s Reitman’s words or his. I can’t think of anyone else who could have pulled it off.

“Up in the Air” is also thematic. Reitman juxtaposes downsizing a company and downsizing a life. It also touched on loneliness, love, isolation, happiness, and more. The film actually improves upon discussion. (I even have a post-it on my desk that says “Type with Purpose!”)

The only criticism I can offer is that I would have ended the film two minutes earlier, right before the last scene. If you’ve seen the film, you’ll understand. But then again, that would have made the ending too pat, and that’s why they don’t pay me to direct or write films. (I’d settle for being paid to write about them but oh well…)

This film is what the Academy loves. Given all the press that I’ve read, it’s a contender for the Top Prize. Personally, I think they’re going to spread the wealth this year, and I’m ok with that. I’m just thankful for the experience I had watching this film. Only one or two films a year usually make me think it’s possible for a film to be perfect. The other was “Star Trek”. Here’s hoping the Academy feels similarly.

"Up in the Air" - Rated R, 109 minutes (****)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kim just thought I'd drop you a line to say hi and to be the first (well at least I think I'm the first) to post a comment on your nice blog. I'm glad you're still actively writing and I've bookmarked your blog on several of my devices. For the record, we totally agree on UP IN THE AIR. It was just one of those realistic dramas that hits all the right notes. My parents followed my suggestions to see it but walked out of the film 30 minutes into it. Alas, it's it is not a film that will entertain every age group. Some people simply want to go to the movies to laugh. But for those who love expertly-made dramas dealing with life thematics, UP IN THE AIR is a must. Keep up the great work.

    Your friend and follower,

    Paul.

    ReplyDelete