3/14/2010

Alice in Wonderland - Redux

Tim Burton’s “Alice in Wonderland” made me curiouser and curiouser as its release date approached. I’ve always loved the story. I have memories of the annual Enchanted Forest trip with my cousins and riding the teacups to eventually see the cobwebbed Giant Alice in a much-too-small-room. I even have an old beat up copy of both books on my shelf.

While waiting to go, I unfortunately read press. Reviews were scattered, but most were mediocre. I got suspicious, reminding myself that it is still modern-day Disney infected (wrong word use intentionally).

So when I went on Saturday, my expectations weren’t that high. I wasn’t disappointed, and I was entertained. But I almost fell asleep, as the 108 minutes can drag. I wanted to poke the White Rabbit and ask him to hurry them along.

The entire film is a set of bulls eyes or dead misses. Spot on is Helena Bonham Carter, who makes the big headed Red Queen a complete hoot. She’s great, especially as she yells “Off with his head!” It’s hysterical, but I’d expect nothing less. Unfortunately, the miss for me was my girl Annie Hathaway as the White Queen, who seems to channel a fractured version of Glinda from “The Wizard of Oz”.

I appreciate the filmmakers trying for an original story. I like the fact that they state the obvious – Alice has been here before (as have we). I’m a sucker for all things metaphorical, as this story tends to be. Alice’s current trip starts when she’s offered a marriage proposal she has zero interest in accepting from a total cad of a guy. Through her journey she finds herself and cue female empowerment Disney message, which is fine.

You’ll notice no Depp mention yet. That’s because I’m not really sure how he fits here. You can’t have a Burton without a Depp, just like you can’t have Scorsese without DiC(r)aprio. And yes, he is over the top. But there were a few moments where I thought I was watching Edward Scissorhands – right down to the pout on his white-powdered face. Giving the Hatter an expanded role is ok, but I think it just goes too far.

Mia Wasikowska is fantastic as Alice. I remember watching her on HBO’s “In Treatment” and realizing that she’d go somewhere. This role will put her on the map, and that’s just fine by me. As Alice finally takes control and decides to live her life on her terms, you can’t help but wish her well, a sign of a solid performance.

Although it’s made a boatload of money, this is not a kids movie. Little ones in my showing were bored and talked loud. It’s too story driven to be entertaining for youngsters, and the characters aren’t cartoonish enough to hold their interest. And as stated, it's part of the Evil Disney Modern-Day-Pitching-Everything-Under-the-Sun-Remake-Sequel-Hell Empire.

Was it worth the latest trip to Wonderland? I guess so, but it’s not really a trip that I’d want to repeat, even in 3D.

"Alice in Wonderland" - Rated PG, 108 minutes (**1/2)

No comments:

Post a Comment