6/27/2010

My job is driving me (and my film choices) CRAZY!

I really must apologize to my Readership of Six for my absence of late. Unfortunately, my job had been driving me crazy. I’ve been working many more hours than normal, and by the time I finally do come home I’ve been far too tired and too brain dead to actually watch anything, or even form a complete thought.

I can’t guarantee either of that right now, but I’ll give it the old college try. It seems that unconsciously, this idea of going crazy has manifested itself in my viewing choices this week, in very odd ways.

In addition to being sick of working, I’m also sick of the lack of good film choices, as I’ve whined about repeatedly. When all else fails, I find myself turning to my TV, and thus On Demand. While perusing my On Demand selections, I found Turner Classic Movies On Demand (YAY!). While reviewing the list, I came across a gem starring Olivia de Havilland from the late 1940s entitled “The Snake Pit”. Ironically enough, this film tells the story of Virginia Cunningham, a woman who is in an asylum with no idea why she’s there or even who she is.

Honestly, prior to this, I’d seen de Havilland in a total of two films – “The Heiress” and “GWTW”. The latter is possibly the most OVERRATED film ever, but that’s another story for another time. I liked “The Heiress”, but unfortunately her character is a bit on the mousy side for me. This film, however, showed what it’s like when a true star takes over the screen. The film did something that most recent films haven’t done; it held my interest the entire time. Even though I had to break it into two sessions due to my schedule, as soon as I woke up my first thought was finishing it. I’m glad I did.

I guess that taught me a lesson – when all else fails, go back to the 40s.

For my second film this week, I had one of the most memorable recent home viewing experiences of late. I watched “The Crazies”, which is a remake of George Romero’s early film of the same name (which should explain why this is familiar). I watched this film on my laptop in the dark after a VERY long day. As I was watching the film, the skies began to darken. As the characters are on the run and happen to be stuck in a car wash, the storm started and my apartment (located on the third floor corner of my building) began to be getting pelted with rain, thunder and lightning hit and it was GREAT! The movie was actually decent and it made me very happy.

So although I don’t feel cinematically satisfied yet, I’m definitely on my way. I feel much better. But most importantly, work MAY be looking up. And even if it’s not, at least a few days vacation are coming soon. (FIOS, here I come!)

No comments:

Post a Comment