12/22/2010

Making My Best Picture Oscar List...

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! (No, not Christmas) I mean the time when Hollywood takes off the gloves, opens the pocketbooks, and starts the official campaigns for the tall, bald, gold guy named Oscar.

I’m doing ok in OscarQuest 2010. Although my current health situation limits what I can and cannot get to see, I am still trying to stay enthused.

But I can’t get excited about the current state of all things cinematic, and the reasons why are below. Listed below are the major players for Best Picture, per awardsdaily.com in no particular order.

1. “The Social Network” – Ah, Oscar Hate just flows. Maybe I didn’t get it, but I know I hated it. Whiny college kids become whiny millionaires. The whole idea reinforces that people are self-centered and think everyone cares about their every moment. What news!

2. “The King’s Speech” – Usually I’d drive 45 minutes to Bethesda immediately, but I’m not really psyched. I love Colin Firth and would LOVE to see him win, but I just don’t think so. But it does follow the Oscar Rules with a protagonist on the English throne.

3. “The Fighter” – more on this later, but I did wonder what it would have been like with Ben behind the camera.

4. “The Kids are All Right” – And only all right. For the record, JULIANNE WAS BETTER!

5. “Black Swan” – My only must see. Due to my recent stomach bug, I have to wait on this for a week. I expect it to be fantastic, and I think it’s the only film that could knock “Inception” off as my top film of the year.

6. “Inception” – the modern day Citizen Kane. This should change the way movies are created and written. Brilliant. And in a rare feat, gets better every time. A Leo movie I love in spite of him. I think the director race comes down to Chris v Darren.

7. “True Grit” – I usually avoid westerns, but for the Coens, I’ll make an exception. But I am a bit tired of seeing Jeff Bridges.

8. “Toy Story 3” – Saw it. Checked it off. ‘Nuff said.

9. “127 Hours” – Even though I love Danny Boyle, and respect the heck out of Franco, I think I’m using my Oscar Pass here. In any other year, I’d be seeing it. But this year, I really don’t want to see a film about The Power of The Survival Instinct. I think I already understand that concept pretty fully.

10. “The Town” – Ben is no longer Affleckted. He brought together a great cast and made a masterful film. Loved every bleeping second of it. Renner is wonderful and I’ll be happy when he gets his nod.

I’m sure I’ll have much more to say as the race continues, especially as there are some entries I haven’t seen yet. For now, Happy Holidays! Let’s hope 2011 is better than 2010 – cinematic and otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment