1/15/2011

New Year, New Take

I recently got a book called “501 Must-See Movies” from my godmother for Christmas. Inside is a checklist of all the films. I counted off the ones I had seen, which numbered about half. That’s a solid start. There are some favorites on there, and some I’m unfamiliar with. There are some classics I haven’t seen, and there are some of my most hated cinematic foes.

When I first started this blog, I realized that I have some biases. I don’t like romantic comedies and abhor all things Nicolas Cage-related. I don’t think Kate Hudson can act and I don’t care if Matthew takes his shirt off or leaves it on – he still sucks.

But above all I reserve a hatred for a few select films. One of these is “The Matrix”. I did see this in a theater upon initial release and thought it was a trumped up, green-soaked version of “Star Wars” (which I’m also not crazy about). But alas, the film is on the checklist and must be re-viewed and reviewed.

There are certain cinematic truths that are self-evident.
Keanu Reeves cannot act. He has a monotone look and an even worse voice. He’s boring.
The directors of this film will never again be able to match this success.
“The Matrix” is a technological wonder .
I AM capable of being wrong about a film. This film, although not great, is not that bad. In fact, I might even go so far as to say it’s quite good.

Now that I’m older and not as cinematically jaded, I can see that this is the millenium’s “Citizen Kane”, the film that puts me to sleep but still changed everything. It’s one of a handful of films whose mark is still present today. Even though the effects are dated now and have been repeated ad nauseum in every conceivable way, there’s still something to be said for being first on the scene.

With all that being said, though, you’ll notice I haven’t said much about the story. That’s cause there’s really not much to say. I appreciate the fact that they didn’t go for the obvious sell outs of killing Morpheus in the first film, but the story still is as old as time. I’m not one for philosophical thought, especially these days. It makes my head hurt. It was entertaining, but not distinctive.

So I guess it’s a sign that I’ve finally grown up. And I have been dared to watch the sequels. I don’t recall if I saw those in a theater – probably not. I think I actually but my foot down and told my ex-husband to see them on his own, which I think he did. I have agreed to watch the second one, but will probably pass on the third.

However, I didn’t put a time line on that stipulation. So maybe in about ten years I’ll look into it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment