2/13/2011

Companion Films - "The Social Network" and "Catfish"

I've been looking for a way to supplement Oscar Quest 2010-2011. After seeing most of the nominees, and being underwhelmed by most, I needed to find something more. So earlier this week, while in the shower (where I usually get my best ideas), I came up with the idea of a "Companion Film". Companion Films share the basic premise or theme, but present it in two totally different ways. I'm hoping if I find a Companion Film for each of the BP nominees, there will be SOMETHING that energizes me, just a little.

For example, take "The Social Network" and "Catfish". While I'm sure you've heard of the former, the latter has gone relatively unnoticed. It documents the story of Nev, who frequents Facebook and become attached to the "family" that he finds there. It starts with 8-yr old Abby, a talented painter and branches out to Abby's mother, half-sister and other family members. The entire experience is filmed by Nev's brother.

But, as the axiom goes, don't believe everything you read, or everything you hear. When Nev develops feelings for Abby's half sister Megan, he decides they should meet. Without giving anything away, let's say the results are surprising - for Nev and the viewer.

Personally, I get it. I had my years where I obsessed over my internet friends. I still have a few of them, and I've even met one personally. Although I never had any issues and the people I befriended were all upright and honest, that doesn't apply to everyone. Just like in real life, virtual life has its fair share of liars.

What I preferred about "Catfish" is that it's true. More than the other Facebook film, things weren't manipulated or sensationalized for effect. Even though I thought I knew where it was going, it still kept me entertained for its run time (about 90 minutes).

I also found the film relatable. Although I'm not on Facebook for my own reasons, I understand why other people are. I even understand the need for constant updating - on your phone, at work and now even in your car. It's just not for me at this stage of my life. Guess I miss the days where it wasn't necessary to announce you were going to the grocery store to buy milk. I also like the fact that I communicate with the people I know NOW, not twenty years ago. There's enough high schoolishness (yes, I made that up) in my life without having to correspond with someone I actually attended high school with. But that's my choice, and I realize it's not a popular one.

"Catfish" wasn't a film that was going to make the critical splash of "The Social Network". And that's really unfortunate, because I think it should have. It's a much better film, and I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment