10/05/2011

Taking a New "Stab" at an Old Blog

I’m officially better now, so I figured it was time to take a new “stab” at writing. I figured I would start with something easy - “Scream 4”. It’s been awhile since I’ve been asked my cinematic opinion, and even longer since I wrote one, so here we go.

There are rules for these kinds of things, as listed below.

1. I cannot be totally objective about anything. I have my biases and will not change them. Take me as I am, people.
2. I only watch the films that interest me, unless it’s Oscar- nominated, of course.
3. The number of films I watch may increase or decrease depending on how redbox happy we become. I have watched two films in the last twenty four hours, with three more on deck.
4. I may or may not write up every film I see. It depends on how much time and energy I have to write.
5. If you want to know the plot of a film, you can go elsewhere. You don’t need me to tell you that. I will tell you my thoughts on the film, or my experience relating to the film, and THAT’S what you can’t get elsewhere.

Now, back to the review. I loved the original series. I thought it revitalized horror as a genre and gave it a wit and depth it had previously been missing. By the third film, it was a little tired, but that was still ok.

I’ve always loved Kevin Williamson’s writing, going all the way back to the sometimes cringe-inducing “Dawson’s Creek”. Unfortunately, Kevin’s now matured with the rest of us. Some of the dialogue is just bad, and when delivered by actors of basically two generations it can get rather tedious. There are a few one-liners that still work, but there’s an over-the-top factor here I don’t remember from the other films.

The first scene from the film was basically unnecessary, although it’s always nice to see one of my “Pretty Little Liars” girls (Lucy Hale). The second celebrity bit was HYSTERICAL and could have been my favorite part. By the time we actually get to the new story itself, I was a bit confused. Then again – I get confused often these days.

The old players continue to play their parts well – except for David Arquette, who drove me up a wall as normal. Can this guy do NOTHING normally? I understand that his character is exaggerated, but does it have to go THAT far?

Finally, did I guess the killer? Nope. That I attribute to Wes Craven and to Kevin Williamson. Not many films these days can keep me up until midnight or hold my complete attention, but this one did. For that, I thank them. How can they repay me? Don’t start a new franchise. As Ms. Prescott said, “Don’t f*** with the original”. You’ve done your remake – now let it be. But I’m pretty sure that won’t be the case.

Random Side Note: I'd like to thank my boyfriend Lou for helping me get back into film. and for telling me for months that I would and should write again. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment