10/22/2009

Trick or Treat!

It’s almost Halloween! This week’s cinematic plate contains all kinds of tricks and treats.

First is a DVD release ironically called “Trick 'r Treat” - my new “must see” Halloween treat. Forget that tired, stale “Saw” dreck ; try something with a bit more bite. Modeled after the 80’s classic “Creepshow”, the film opens with comic book sketches and proceeds to tell a series of interlocking vignettes. Some faces are extremely familiar. In fact, the whole film seems familiar and nostalgic, but that’s part of its charm. The highlight is the pre-“True Blood” Anna Paquin as the Little Red Riding Hood with a wolfish spirit. I’ve learned this gem sat on the shelf for two years before finding a distributor. What a crying shame. But it’d be more of a crying shame if you didn’t see it. It’s good enough to redeem American horror in my book (for a while). ***

Halloween is never without tricks. After suffering through 45 minutes of “The Proposal”, I can say I’ve been tricked, but only by myself. Once in a great while I’ll watch a modern rom-com, hoping to find some intelligence or originality. Nope. Sandra Bullock plays Ryan Reynolds’ boss, who is about to get deported to Canada unless she coerces her assistant into marriage. Think Meryl’s Streep’s “The Devil Wears Prada” without any character. Reynolds was better in his “Wolverine” appearance (all ten minutes of it). Clearly the cast and the writers just wanted the paycheck. By the time they got to the fat guy stripping to Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s “Relax”, I was done. The only good thing to report is that the scenery in MASSACHUSETTS (not Alaska, as alleged) is beautiful. I should have bought a postcard. (unwatchable, and therefore unrated)

But please don’t think I’m a film snob – at least not until March. I did get a bona fide treat this week – a film I thought I’d hate that I actually enjoyed. Most of what passes for comedy these days doesn’t interest me – it’s juvenile, insulting or just stupid. But “Couples Retreat” (yes I did type that) is much better than I expected. I’ll give credit for that to Vince Vaughn. I figured the only reason to watch this was to see Vaughn and Jon Favreau ping off each other. It worked in “Swingers” and it works here. The plot isn’t much. Four couples go away to a couples resort to help one save their marriage. The other couples are along for the ride, even if that’s not the ride they initially selected. Anyone that’s been in any type of long-term relationship will appreciate the humor and the sentiment. It does go too cliché at times, this is still one Retreat I didn’t mind visiting. (***)

That’s it for this week. I’ve been asked repeatedly about “Paranormal Activity”, but that’s another blog for another day. Keep reading, because when it comes to film, I’ll ALWAYS have something to say!

"Trick 'r Treat", Rated R, 82 minutes
"The Proposal", Rated PG-13, 108 minutes
"Couples Retreat", Rated PG-13, 113 minutes

1 comment:

  1. Trick'r Treat huh? I'll check it out cause I did like Creepshow. When it comes to horror/scary movies I will say that I am elitist (sp?), I'll see The Proposal only cause I like those two. As for Couples, Vince grates my nerves like no other. The last Vince Vaughn movie I saw was Wedding Crashers. He was the reason I didn't like it. I know he was in Into The Wild but I fell asleep for his part of the movie. I don't know how that happened right from his first scene and waking up right after he was done. Ryann wants to support Ralphie but I just can't bring myself to see it.

    ReplyDelete