2/28/2010

Crazy Heart

As the Oscar season winds down, I finally saw one of the films that I’d missed - “Crazy Heart”. “Crazy Heart” has been regaled primarily for the performances of the leads – Jeff Bridges and Maggie Gylenhaal. Bridges plays Bad Blake, a country music star has-been. He’s a drunk and an unrepentant loser – just like the heroes of many country songs. Gylenhaal plays Janey, the young ladies who captures his heart and blah blah blah blah.

This film could firmly live in cliché-land. You know how it goes – loser country singer redeems himself though the love of a good woman. Or, loser country singer takes young woman down with him and they both drown in misery.

The charm of this film is that it lies between the two clichés, and in the difference becomes a real story with effortless performances all the way around, and a surprise or two.

Everyone knows that Jeff Bridges can sing. If you don’t, watch “The Fabulous Baker Boys”. But for a surprise – he’s not the only one that does. Performances are genuine, Bridges’ and that of Colin Farrell, who is great in this film. He’s always done good work when in the background, and this is no exception (although he does look like a Billy Ray Cyrus clone).

The film gets a bit bogged down though, during the repetitive song performances. There are only maybe 4 songs, and it’s like an ipod stuck on repeat. I understood the point they were identifying, but I don’t feel that many performances were necessary.

Bridges does make the acting look effortless. He put on some pounds to play this role, and he threw all he had into it. The Oscar that he will win is well deserved. Gylenhaal’s performance is understated, but the perfect counterpoint to Bridges’. I’ve heard it said that she’s the heart of the movie, but I disagree with that. The heart of the movie is actually Gylenhall’s son Buddy – he’s the heart and ultimately the catalyst of the film.

“Crazy Heart” is also a film about growth. All of these characters grow and learn something. Personally, I learned that I’ve outgrown country music. The lyrics to all of the songs (with the exception of the nominated song) are repetitive, mundane, and actually boring. But seriously, characters that work need to have some conflict/struggle that they’ve fought against and defeated. That’s clearly here.

But the best thing about the film is the lack of a “pat” ending. What could have gone one of two ways ends up going neither. That’s where my personal comfort lies – in knowing that it’s more real if it’s not obvious. It’s why “Casablanca” is my 2nd favorite film. The ending adds an authenticity to the entire film that makes it better than most I’ve seen lately.

I am glad for the accolades that this film has, and I’m glad that I saw it, but it’s not one of my top 10. Now I’m off to listen to some good old rock and roll music.

"Crazy Heart" - Rated R, 112 minutes (***)

No comments:

Post a Comment