2/23/2010

Shutter Island = Semi-Cringeworthy

When I first saw the trailer for “Shutter Island”, I wasn’t that impressed. It didn’t look very coherent, and although I love Dennis Lehane’s work, I wasn’t 100% sure I could get into the movie.

Then I started reading early reviews, and I changed my mind.

Even after leaving the theater, I still cut the film some slack. Maybe you just need to let it marinate before it hits you. So I gave it a few days.

It’s been three days, and I can honestly say that my initial instincts were right. And I’m sticking by this. I should have passed.

I know that some people are claiming this is a masterpiece, yet another in the line of Martin Scorsese’s “I Can Do No Wrong” school. You’ll get no argument from me that Mr. Scorsese is a genius. He’s also the best film scholar EVER – no doubt and one of the best directors of ANY time. But, sorry, this one is a misfire.

“Shutter Island” takes place in a sanitarium. That much I got. To go into the story any more may or may not infringe on spoiler territory, so I won’t really try. I will say that Leonardo DiCaprio (not a big fan) does an admirable job here of a bizarroland script. Mark Ruffalo was also very good, and the performances themselves aren’t an issue.

I wouldn’t dream of saying anything against the way Scorsese shoots the film. There’s simply nobody better to frame a shot or set a mood. However, there were too many things thrown in there that simply made me go “Huh”? Even after speaking to people about the film, I understand where he was going, but it didn’t make me like the film more.

In food metaphors, think of deveining Shyamalan, julienning Hitchcock, and garnishing with David Lynch. It’s THAT all over the place. There’s a supposed “twist” ending, although I got that part 10 minutes in. The coolest part about the film is the very last 20 minutes or so, where they tie up some dialogue to some action. That took thought and imagination.

My biggest criticism of the film isn’t the script though – it’s the pacing. It’s SO slow. It crawls. I actually wanted to hit a fast forward button to hurry it along. The second biggest criticism is that even if you can’t tell the difference between reality and delusions (I get that’s the point and I’m ok with that), why do you have to have different ACTORS? That made the mud even murkier. Instead of trying to figure out how a character fit the story, I spent 10 minutes deducing it was Emily Mortimer, not Emily Watson.

But I didn’t hate the film. How could I? It’s Scorsese! And even though I consider it a misfire, it’s still worth a watch – if for no other reason than to
discuss and dissect it afterwards, and watch the one of the greatest directors ever dabble in his craft. Because even a so-so Scorsese beats 75% of what's out there.

"Shutter Island", Rated R, 138 minutes (**)

No comments:

Post a Comment