4/30/2010

London May Be Dreary, but the Film Surely Isn't!

I decided to skip this week’s previously scheduled film “Eve’s Bayou” for two very important reasons: First, I needed to get out of my head for a bit. Secondly, I needed an RDJ (that’s Robert Downey Junior for anyone not familiar with my ubiquitous acronyms) fix before “Iron Man 2”, this year’s birthday film. (You didn’t really think I was going to spend my Special Day cinematically with Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe’s “Robin Hood” aka the English Gladiator, did you?)

I sat down yesterday and ordered “Sherlock Holmes” from Comcast on Demand. For two hours, I had intelligent dialogue, my lovely dreary London, lots of action, one of two laughs, and of course RDJ. I also wanted to use British colloquialisms for the rest of the day, but that’s not really new.

I admit to being skeptical before the film’s release. Not about teaming Downey with Jude Law as Dr. Watson – that’s a stroke of genius. Giving Holmes a love interest (Rachel McAdams) didn’t quite seem right. But I hadn’t read the books so perhaps I was uninformed.

My biggest question was around the director – Guy Ritchie. It was obvious from the trailer that this film would make a mint, and the release right around Christmas would certainly add to the box office. But I’d only seen one of Ritchie’s films – “Rock N Rolla”, and to be honest, I bloody hated it.

I’m very glad that I gave this film a try. It’s an opening franchise film without being an origin film. Holmes is already established as a depraved, brilliant detective who almost runs Scotland Yard exuding confidence in his mind but has the emotional maturity of a gnat. Downey nails it all, in a Golden Globe nominated performance. Law is capital as the straight guy who often bears the brunt of Holmes’ shenanigans, and simply cannot leave him for the respectability of a wife and home of his own.

The main criticisms I offer of the film are that many of the externals shots are quite dark, although I also submit that my tele is not the cleanest in the world. My second criticism involves the fact that the inevitable sequel isn’t set up in the last ten minutes, but the last thirty. Personally, that’s a bit too long of a tease for my liking. But I’m more than willing to wait as Mr. Downey continues to juggle not one but two franchises (or perhaps three, if you consider “The Avengers” another, directed by Joss Whedon).

Here’s a side note to all the detractors skeptical about the “Iron Man 2” hype. I don’t often say this, but if you read the comics or at least research them, you know where this is all going. And for God’s sake, just sit back and watch the film without critiquing it along the way. Trust me you’ll enjoy it all the more. I sure did. And I will again. Must go now – “Eastenders” is calling. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment