5/06/2010

Film 142: Eve's Bayou

One of the things that people complain about is that there aren’t enough films that have an almost exclusively African-American cast. Really, the only dramas like that today are those made by Tyler Perry, and they are now far too repetitive for their own good. A film made almost fifteen years ago that met this criteria was “Eve’s Bayou”.

When I originally saw this film in 1997, I thought it was impressive. Boasting an all-star cast, this film promised to be a drama/mystery and I enjoyed it. I watched it again thirteen years later and I’ve decided that it’s as hot a mess as the Louisiana bayou for which it is named.

I can’t even tell the direction the filmmakers were taking. At times this film could have been shot in the 1950s (it’s actually set in the 60s), a true Douglas Sirk original, complete with swelling music. Other times it’s got a “Cotton Club” feel to it, an almost seductive quality. But unfortunately, there’s also another part that I can’t really identify that just doesn’t mesh with anything else.

I’m not even sure of the main plot. Is it about a family and its ultimate ruination? Is it about a steamy affair gone wrong? Is it the story of one little girl and the tragic consequences that she believes she caused? Or is it a total mishmash of everything? I’m afraid that it’s the latter.

But there are upsides to the film. The scenery is awesome, just seedy enough to make the main points. The cast is still impressive; it’s a venerable who’s who of Hollywood at that time. Even if the writing isn’t that strong, the cast can overcome those shortcomings. There really isn’t a role that Sam Jackson can’t play, and the philandering scoundrel of a doctor suits him well. Lynn Whitfield nails the part of the indulgent wife and mother.

Debbi Morgan is an odd mix of sister and witchdoctor; it is perhaps her performance that is the weakest of the adults. But the worst casting has to be that of the lead Jurnee Smollett as Eve. She has since grown into a wealth of TV roles, which is good because film just wasn’t her strong suit.

The director, Kasi Lemmons, has since gone on to make another movie with Jackson, “The Caveman’s Valentine”, which I haven’t seen. But I’m really jazzed to see it, either.

As far as one of the “100 Modern Films to See Before You Die” goes – trust me, you can skip this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment