5/13/2010

Casting...When it Works...And When it Doesn't

For this week’s cinematic adventure, I went somewhere new and then visited an old friend.

First stop was Rob Marshall’s “Nine”. Two obvious reasons I didn’t see this in a theater – Daniel Day Lewis and Katie Hudson. One is enough to make me hide; two is beyond a bad sign. (Nic Cage completes my Cinematic Apocalyptic Trifecta) Other than the aforementioned abominations, the rest of the cast looked stellar: Judi Dench, Nicole Kidman, Penelope Cruz and even Stacy Ferguson (aka Fergie).

“Nine” is loosely based on Fellini’s “8 ½”, which I admit I have not seen. I watched ten minutes and found it boring and pretentious. I felt similarly about “Nine”. I just didn’t see any direction. DDL plays a director about to shoot a movie, with no script and a severe case of writer’s block. He turns to his muses (some real, some not) for inspiration, only to acquire more anxiety and pressure. Each muse gets her own musical number.

I won’t go so far as to say that it was “Mama Mia”-esque bad, because all the actors actually can semi-sing. I felt that Cruz’s number was the best, as she worked the hardest. The best tune was Hudson’s, a dead ringer for her mom in her white go-go boots. Acting-wise, the award goes to Marion Cotillard – the long-suffering, tolerant wife. The weakest link was probably Nicole Kidman as the ex-wive. If you blink or don’t pause when you go to the rest room, you’ll miss her.

Marshall also did one of my favorite films – “Chicago”. I thought it was brilliant, and it’s the only film I’ve seen repeatedly in a theater. (I think I saw it seven times. I can still repeat dialogue and sing every lyric.) “Chicago” still had relevance, as it deals with the idea of celebrity and notoriety. I just didn’t feel that “Nine” had the same kind of hook – or perhaps I just don’t understand “Cinema Italiano”.

The other film this week was a classic – Frank Darabont’s “The Shawshank Redemption”. (#79 on the all-time classic list and # 21 on the modern classic list) This is a case where just about everything about a film works. Unlike the other Darabont-driven Stephen King adaptation “The Green Mile”, this film doesn’t need an all-star cast (or Tom Hanks, thank God). It showcases two of today’s most brilliant actors - Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman.

I’m sure you’ve seen this film, as most people have. It’s clear that the filmmakers tried to get every detail just right – and succeeded on all levels. Most importantly, it’s a faithful Stephen King adaptation. And trust me, I know my King. It’s my favorite adaptation of all his works, and it still can move me to tears. Plus, on the week of my birthday, it’s kinda nice to see that I’m not the only one who’s gotten older.

No comments:

Post a Comment