10/31/2010

The 53rd post

The entry I posted to my blog earlier today was my 52nd film-related post. Those of you who read this column weekly (my Readership of Six, as I call you all) know that I have tried numerous times to consistently write and have always failed. Last year, I set a personal goal that I would write four posts per month, an average of one per week, for a year.

I didn’t know if I had the discipline in me to pull it off. Life has a tendency to get in the way with me, and other things seem to become temporarily more important. I’m so glad that with one exception (what the Brit in me wants to say was “going on holiday” but was in actuality a family emergency), I’ve done it.

I think the reason that I was able to write consistently was because I finally realized that MY blog was whatever I wanted it to be. These aren’t straight film reviews. You can get those anywhere. That’s why the dashboard says that it’s a cinematic journey. These are my reactions to the films that I’ve seen, for good or for bad. Although the films that I’ve chosen are sometimes the latest and greatest available, they usually tie into my life somehow. And naturally, they are all a reflection of my personal tastes and/or biases.

You all know that I have very strong opinions when it comes to film (ok, when it comes to almost everything). There have been times that I’ve changed my mind, or times I’ve been pleasantly surprised. You all also know that I’ll defend my positions to the last character. Just for the record, trailers are usually on target, but they have to be, given the lemming mentality the box office is built upon. I’ve done the Oscar candidates, the possible Oscar candidates, the box office winners, and the films that you may not have ever heard of. I’ve also learned that the more I see, the more I need to see. Given my obsessive personality, that’s perfect.

The only other thing I wanted to say in this totally personal and mostly non-cinematic (but rather theatrical) post is that I thank you all for reading. I appreciate it greatly when one of you remarks on something I’ve written, or even when you take the time out just to tell me that you read something.
So before I start approaching my standard 500-word limit to say nothing, let me just say thanks. And I’m far from being done. So I’ll keep writing, and please keep reading. Take care all.

No comments:

Post a Comment