11/07/2010

Don't Read The Book - See The Movie!

In addition to being a film connoisseur, I am also a voracious reader. This means that often I am faced with the dilemma of seeing a film when I’ve already read the book. Nine times out of ten, the book is better. This is simply because what I see in my head while I’m reading is better than anything a director could show on a screen.

But I have found one notable exception – the “Millenium” trilogy. This is the set of films starting with “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” which has now moved on to “The Girl who Played with Fire”.

I saw the first film courtesy of Netflix streaming (actually, that’s how I’ve seen both). I thought the film looked dated, but I liked it a lot. I purchased the book for the second film, figuring that I’d burn through that and then get the third. I’m glad I didn’t buy both at one time, for this has to be one of the most difficult reads I’ve ever undertaken.

I’m not familiar with Sweden, so none of the place names mean anything to me. The books’ aren’t really written that well actually, unless some things got lost in translation. I understood the characters well enough and learned some plot points, but not well enough to care to finish it.

The film, however, is a whole different story. This isn’t the typical “middle
film”, usually the worst of a trilogy. This film is extremely easy to follow and also extremely interesting. They cut some sub-plots from the book, but upon further review that’s because they weren’t necessary to the telling of the story.
If the first film looked like a 70s film, this one feels like an 80s film. It’s much more character-driven, with the need to explain the past of the characters. It also links with things from the first film, and gives even more clarity.

But more than anything, this film actually demonstrates what a talented actress Naomi Rapace is. Lisbeth seems to have matured between the two books, and it seems that Rapace grew into the role. She allows Lisbeth’s vulnerabilities to come through in a way that is totally believable, and allows the viewer to root for her.

Even as you’re watching, you can’t help asking yourself what the Americans will do with this. Some scenes would never make it off the cutting room floor, especially considering the amount of nudity and sex featured (some of which is needed). And I have this sneaking suspicion that we will see Blomkvist and Salander live happily ever after. I hope with everything in me that’s not the case, because the relationship between the two of them seems more complicated and more genuine that could really be accepted in America.

There aren’t many times that, after finishing the second film in a trilogy, one can’t wait for the third. But that’s how I feel about this one. Just not enough to read the book.

1 comment:

  1. i'm trying to make time for the movie too. I don't know when I'll get to it. The second was really good and really easy to follow. She is so good. I hear she may be the fave to be in the Alien prequel and she's in Sherlock Holmes II. Did you get my email?? I mailed like 3 days ago.

    ReplyDelete